Once upon a time, that would have referred to the person himself being discreet, being trustworthy when it comes to dealing with people who may have careers or other situations where it would be bad to have their name and pics broadcast widely in a homosexual context. (For example, an elementary school teacher or someone living with an elderly parent.) By extension, a request for a hookup connection to be “discreet” was a request to respect those sensitive areas: don’t broadcast my name, understand why the only pic I can send you includes a woman, please don’t leave sexy messages on my answering machine.
Today, of course, that meaning has mutated. Today, “discreet” allegedly means closeted. From Urban Dictionary:
A word gay/bi men use to describe themselves in a cool way that they are closet cases and have no intention of coming out soon. This allows them to maintain perceived heterosexual privilege while engaging in their true sexual desires.Beyond “closeted”, though, these days “discreet” today tends to mean “cheating”. When a guy says he’s “discreet”, you can bet that he’s not in an open relationship and he’s not just in the closet: he’s sneaking around on his boyfriend/husband/girlfriend/wife without permission.
- He may be giving you a fake name. (I got hit up by someone going by the name “John Master”, a name one porn film short of “Rod Steel”.)
- He doesn’t have a facepic to give you. If he’s gay, he might have a dickpic, though.
- He may well flake out on actually meeting for sex. (Yeah, just like the out gay boys, you say, but it’s even more likely.)
- He will be offended if you suggest that he is cheating on someone.
- If you ever see him out socially, he probably won’t even acknowledge knowing you (especially if he gave you a fake name), much less be friendly to you.
Updated on June 8, 2010
This post was inpsired by a guy I was chatting with for a potential hookup who dropped the “pretty discreet guy here” bomb only on the third exchange. I completely blew up at him:
On the other hand:
- If it means you’re scared to death you might be seen in another neighborhood than you are usually in, stay home.
- If it means you’re scared to death that if I see you out and about, I might say “Hello”, stay home.
- If it means coming here would be cheating on a boyfriend/husband/girlfriend/wife — if you don’t have an open enough relationship to do this — stay home (and talk to that person about your interests).
- I’m not going to come up to you on the street and say “Hello, want to fist me again” in front of your buddies.
- I’m not going to post your pics on my blog to say “I did this guy.”
- I’m not going to stalk you after the fact, or get “weird”.
- I’m not going to protect your closet (whatever sort of “closet” it might be), but neither will I tear off the door and point at what you have in there.